Not for the faint hearted, this cupcake is the ultimate indulgence, and if you aren't actually an Oreo fan (say whuuuut) think of it as a cookies 'n' cream cupcake (shh, it tastes the same!)
makes 12 cupcakes
125g caster sugar
85g self-raising flour
25g malt drinking powder (I used Horlicks)
15g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. bicarb of soda
pinch of salt
2 large free-range eggs
135g unsalted butter
1 & 1/2 tbsp. whole milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 & 1/2 packs of Oreos
FOR THE OREO BUTTERCREAM
200g unsalted butter
450g icing sugar
2 tbsp. whole milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 pack of Oreos, crushed!
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Using the all in one method, sift the self-raising flour, malt drinking powder, cocoa powder, caster sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix together on a high speed for a few minutes until all the ingredients have come together to create a smooth mixture.
- Continue mixing on a low speed and pour the milk and vanilla extract into your mixing bowl, then mix on a high speed for 30 seconds or so, the cupcake mixture is now ready.
- Before spooning the mixture into the cupcake cases, place a whole Oreo cookie in the bottom of each cupcake case.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the Oreos, about 3/4 full, then place in the oven for 22 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are baked place on a wire cooling rack. Whilst your cupcakes are cooling you can create the Oreo buttercream.
- Place the butter into a mixing bowl and mix on a high speed for about 4 minutes, the butter should be soft and fluffy.
- Add half the icing sugar and mix until combined, start slowly and then increase to a high speed.
- Add in the rest of the icing sugar, once combined pour in 1-2 tbsp. of milk to loosen the mixture.
- Now for the Oreo element! Either in a blender or using a zip lock bag and a rolling pin crush the Oreos until they are finely crumbed.
- Pour into the buttercream and mix on a low speed until fully combined.
- Pipe onto your cupcakes, place an Oreo on top of each and enjoy!
I earnt serious
brownie Oreo points creating these; my boyfriend, brother, colleagues, friends all loved them so I hope your nearest and dearest do too! As always if you do create these I would love, love, love you to share your pictures with me on Instagram or Twitter.
Is there anything you would like a recipe for? Would you like your favourite biscuit/chocolate/fruit etc. turning into a delicious treat? Leave any requests below and I will try my best to create something scrumptious!