FOMO is described by the Oxford English Dictionary as “anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.” I’ve never actually experienced FOMO*, partly because I am a granny in a 24 year old’s body and partly because Netflix & Chill (and I mean chill!) has become such a big part of our lives. It is now totally acceptable to brag about binge watching 6 hours of your latest chosen TV show without washing or removing your PJ’s. I’m sure we’ve all been there…
When Eventbrite introduced me to GOMO aka Going Out More Often, and all of the incredible local events listed on their website, trust me you could book up every day in your calendar with the amount of choice on offer, I decided to beat FOMO; by creating my very own summer memories and beat the sofa; by getting my butt off it and out in the real world.
Some events I have already attended, some I am set to attend and others, well they are purely wishful thinking; maybe I’ll get there next year! This is my Summer GOMO bucket list:
- Tramlines: an inner city music festival on my own doorstep, how could I not attend? Dizzee Rascal, Catfish and the Bottlemen and Kelis (blast from the past) were all headlining this year with lots of home grown talent supporting.
- Peddler Market: a street food festival in Sheffield on the first Friday and Saturday of every month. I have been to Street Feast in London a number of times and am so happy that there is something similar closer to home, endless food, beer and cocktails…what’s not to love?
- Gin Festival: I love gin and cannot wait to attend a festival devoted to it, imagine all the different flavours! Here’s hoping there is a Rhubarb and Custard option.
- Yorkshire Sculpture Park: We recently visited YSP for the KAWS exhibition and it was incredible, I can’t wait to see what they are showcasing next.
- Tough Mudder: I have been saying all year that I want to take part in Tough Mudder and raise money for two charities very close to my heart, Mind and Alzheimers.
- Zombie Infection: Go all Alice (Resident Evil) and battle your way through a Zombie infested abandon factory, hell yeah that sounds fun!
- Wilderness Festival: This one is slightly further afield but I am determined to get there next year. I want to explore the magical, fairy lit forests and relax in the outdoor spas whilst surrounded by good food, good music and great people.
- Visit Brighton: I have always wanted to visit this little seaside town but it has always felt just a bit too far away, thanks to GOMO I am no longer going to make this excuse!
- Luna Cinema: Are coming to Sheffield! They are an outdoor cinema company and will be showcasing Grease on 29th August; this is something I will not be missing, even if it is on, on a Monday.
*Except when Coachella season comes around, I mean who doesn’t get FOMO after seeing every celebrity, blogger, influencer on the planet descend upon the dessert for a raucous old time?Feeling inspired to create your own GOMO memories? Check out Eventbrite to find and create local events near you with their event planning software and don’t forget to use #GOMO when you attend!
If you could attend any event this summer, no obstructions, what would you like to attend?