235g self raising flour
250g caster sugar
15g cocoa powder
3/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs
270g unsalted butter (softened)
3 tbs buttermilk
1 tsp red food colour paste
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5 tsp cider vinegar
150g soft unsalted butter
240g full fat cream cheese
840g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C, line two bun trays with bun cases.
- Add the self raising flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder, eggs and butter into a bowl and mix together until combined.
- Mix in the salt, vanilla extract, bicarb of soda, vinegar and buttermilk once combined mix in the red food colouring. The mixture will go a very vibrant red colour but this is how it should look don't worry!
- Spoon the mixture into the bun cases, about 3/4 full and place in the oven for 22 minutes or until the buns have risen and spring back at your touch.
- While the buns are baking you can make the icing. Whisk the butter until it is light and creamy, add half the cream cheese and whisk lightly until combined. Now add half the icing sugar and mix together, once combined mix in the rest of the icing sugar.
- Once the buns are cool ice them whichever way you prefer. Here I used a round icing nozzle. Sprinkle with your chosen decoration and they are finished to perfection.